Aus Window Roller Shutters
Electric vs Manual Roller Shutters – Which Ones Should You Buy?
Electric vs Manual Roller Shutters
Electric vs Manual Roller Shutters? The primary role of window roller shutters is to tighten the security of our homes and commercial buildings. But besides security, you also need to buy roller shutters that are convenient and durable. To get the best out window roller shutters, you need to know your priorities so that you give more attention to the shutter features that matter most. This is because in not most cases, you may not have the budget to get roller shutters that have all the features you want.
One of the questions that you might be having, if you intend to buy window roller shutters, is whether to buy automated roller shutters or manual ones. The answer to this question should entirely depend on where you intend to use the roller shutter and the amount of money you are ready to invest in buying roller shutters. In this article, we are going to help you compare the two and the best use cases for each. Let’s dig in….
Manual window roller shutters
Manual window roller shutters are the type of shutters that are opened and closed manually. These shutters don’t have any sophisticated technology like the electric/automated ones. All they have is the main body of the shutter which is normally made of either aluminum or steel and hinges that are normally made out of stainless steel.
Use cases of manual roller shutters
- Windows that you don’t open frequently: There are those windows on your house or commercial building that you rarely open. If you choose to install roller shutters on such windows, it wouldn’t make sense to install automated shutters. This is because the main role of automating the shutters is to ease opening and closing. In such a situation, manual roller shutters would be the best option since you won’t open and close them so frequently.
- Places that frequently get in contact with water: If the windows you want to install roller shutters to get in contact with splashes of water now and then, the ideal option in such case would be manual roller shutters. This is because electrical/automated shutters have lots of sensitive parts that could easily be damaged by the water.
- Where no maintenance is required: If manual shutters are properly installed, they will need minimal or even no maintenance at all. In a situation where the place you intend to install these shutters doesn’t need constant attention, installing manual shutters will always be the best option.
Pros and cons of manual window roller shutters
- Their price in the market is way lower than electric/automated roller shutters
- They need very little or no maintenance if properly installed.
- They do not need a lot of caution while being operated and during cleaning
- Constantly opening and closing shutters manually is tiresome
- They may not be easy to open and close for people who are not strong enough like young children and sick people
- They are not as safe as automated shutters
Automated/electrical roller shutters
These are shutters that are opened and closed with the aid of electric motors. These kinds of shutters are made of 4 major components that include; the shutter main body, motors, rollers, and the automation system that consists of sensors and a remote controller. When these components are brought together, they form automated shutters that make closing and opening of our rollers shutters effortless.
Use cases of electrical/automated roller shutters
- Windows that need frequent opening and closing: If the windows where you intend to install these shutters require frequent opening and closing, manual shutters wouldn’t be the best option because it would be tiresome to constantly open and close these shutters. Automated shutters, in this case, would be the most ideal choice if at all you can afford them
- Windows that are in hard to reach positions: when a shutter is installed in a position of the building that is hard to reach, an automated one would be the best option in such a case. This will help you avoid situations of having to strain yourself whenever you want to open the windows. All you will need to do is press a button on your remote and the shutter will open
- In a situation where you want to set opening and closing times: Some automated shutters can be programmed on what time to close and open. This can only be achieved with electric roller shutters that have an automation system integrated into them
Pros and cons of electric/automated window roller shutters
- Opening and closing are effortless
- They give your building more value
- They are safer than manual ones
- They can be used by the most vulnerable people like young ones and the sick
- They are more expensive than the manual ones
- They have a higher likelihood of failure than manual ones because they are made of a lot of sensitive parts.
- They require more regular maintenance
Final thoughts on Electric vs Manual Roller Shutters
Choosing between manual and electrical roller shutters might be a bit of a challenge especially if you haven’t bought shutters before. However, as we have seen above, the easiest way to go about this is by knowing your priorities. Once you know what shutter features matter the most to you, then choosing between these two will cease to be a hard task
However, if you have a big budget to spend, electrical shutters would be the most ideal choice. However, in some situations where automation is not so relevant, going for the manual shutters would always be the most economic decision.